VDP2020: Applicaton closed.
Requirements to submit documentaries are as follows:[Deadline: Aug., 31st, 2020]
1. Applicants must be from Southeast Asia or Japan.
2. Documentaries should be no longer than 30 minutes.
3. Applicants should make sure they have permission from any subjects that appear in the movies.
4. Documentaries should include English subtitles. Translation and subtitling is also the responsibility of applicants. For documentaries selected for screening we require film (without subtitles) and subtitle data to be submitted by requested dates to meet translation embedding schedules.
*Selected documentaries will be screened in their original languages with both Japanese and English subtitles. However, documentaries that are in English will only have Japanese subtitles added and vice versa.
Invitation to Japan
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic a physical screening will not be held in Japan. However, an international selection committee will select successful documentaries, and a screening will be held online.
1. Please upload online a copy of the production onto YouTube or Vimeo with subtitles in English. Applicants should also submit a C.V by attachment.
Conditions for uploading films
(a) Films must be submitted in a format supported by YouTube or Vimeo.
– Suggested format: frame size 1920×1080, file format MPEG, frame rate 23.98
(b) Films must be produced in accordance with their purposes and not defame the Center for Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS).
(c) Films that are uploaded should not infringe upon the rights or interests of personal or organizational copyright holders.
– Any background music (BGM) included in films must be copyright free or have the prior permission of copyright holders to use in said films.
– For any images from cartoons, literature, television or films, applicants must make sure that copyright has been transferred from those that own them.
2. The organizers will announce the finalist results in mid- October 2020.
3. Selected documentaries will be uploaded to a website for public viewing.
1. Documentaries will be archived (with the permission of the director(s)) on-line on the CSEAS’s website. These may be used for seminars.
2. Copyright remains with the original copyright holders of the documentary at all times.
3. The organizers will not fund any requests for production funds, the purchase of recording equipment or editing software.
The information provided will be used for the purpose of film selections as decided by the organizer (CSEAS). Applicants personal details will not be disclosed to third parties for commercial or another other reasons.
For any inquiries please contact vdp[@]cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp